May 28, 2010
Cheesy Potato Cakes
2 Tbsp. dill, chopped
1 large egg, beaten
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for frying
1. Washed potatoes and boil them in their skins with a pinch of salt. Cook until they are soft. Drain, then peel while still warm. Put them in a mixing bowl and mash them.
2. Crumble cheese with your fingers into the potatoes and add the scallions, dill, egg mixture and lemon juice. Season with pepper and salt (lightly) as cheese is salty. Mix well to incorporate the ingredients.
3. Cover the mixture and leave in the refrigerator to chill when ready to fry.
4. Divide the mixture into golf-sized balls, flatten slightly and dredge them with flour to coat. Repeat the same with the rest of the mixture.
5. Heat a non-stick pan with some oil and fry the cakes on both sides until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.