May 19, 2010

Almond Flavored Rice Pudding


Rice for dessert, unheard of! Being an Asian or just plain me, I was not accustomed to cooking rice with sugar or milk and eating it as a dessert. Rice to me is commonly served plain with other dishes. Well, I was curious and so I’ve decided to give it a try. On my first attempt, it was so thick and gluey that I can stick a spoon on top of the pudding. After the second and third attempts, it finally comes close to a decent rice pudding---good enough to eat! This version is a simple and delicious alternative to an old-fashioned rice pudding.
Ingredients:
¾ cup short-grain rice, washed and drained
½ cup almonds, chopped
¼ cup brown sugar
1 small piece cinnamon stick (or ½ tsp cinnamon spice)
½ tsp. almond extract
2½ cups milk
¼ cup condensed milk
3 Tbsp. rose or orange blossom flower water (optional)
½ cup dried raisins or currants
4 Tbsp. butter
pinch of salt
ground cinnamon and nutneg for garnishing
toasted slices of almonds for garnishing
Method:
1. Soak rice with some water and a pinch of salt. In a food processor or blender, add the chopped almonds with ½ cup hot water. Process until very fine and strain into a saucepan.
2. Add 1½ cups of water into the saucepan and bring to a boil, then add in the rest of the milks. Drain the rice and add to the milk mixture, together with brown sugar, dried fruits, cinnamon stick and half of the butter, and almond extract. Stir well to mix and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for about 20-30 minutes, adding more milk or sugar if necessary.
3. Continue to cook and stir the rice mixture to prevent burning at the bottom until it becomes thick and creamy. When the rice is of the right consistency, stir in the rose flower water, then season to taste for sweetness.
4. Serve pudding warm with a dollop of butter and sprinkle with sliced almonds, ground cinnamon and nutmeg.
Printable Recipe

5 comments:

MaryMoh said...

The only so called rice pudding that I have tried was with condensed milk, though not very thick and gooey. I actually liked it. It's a long time I have not eaten.

Melinda Tai said...

Well, come on over there's plenty to share ")

Terriea Kwong said...

I'd love this sweet dessert like, with cinnamon also my favour. Savory !

Anonymous said...

I've always liked Rice Pudding, and am so glad you've come up with this wonderful variation. I'm reminded of a rhime."What's the matter with Mary-Jane? She hasn't an ache or hasn't a pain. She's got no reason to complain. We'er having Melinda's lovely rice pudding again!"
Can't wait to sample this variation. Joe

Melinda Tai said...

What a lovely rhyme! You are welcome:)