August 31, 2010
3 cups dried shrimp, rinsed and soaked overnight
½ cup dried chilies, deseed and soaked to soften
5 fresh red chillies, deseed and slice
1 lemon grass, sliced
½ cup chopped onions
1 piece ginger
1 Tbsp. dried belachan
2 Tbsp. tamarind powder or paste
salt and sugar to taste
¼ cup oil
1. Blend the following in a food processor: dried shrimp, chilies, lemon grass, shallots, and ginger until it resembles small chunks.
2. Heat oil on high and fry ingredients until golden brown and fragrant. Reduce heat to medium and continue to stir until mixture is dry. Season to taste with tamarind, salt and sugar.
August 21, 2010
10 medium sized eggs
¼ cup milk
2 slices day-old bread, cut into small cubes
1 cup tomatoes, sliced
3 peppers (red or yellow), sliced thinly
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. dried dill
1 tsp. dried sage
¼ cup basil, chopped finely
1 Tbsp. butter
½ cup parmesan cheese
1 large ovenproof skillet
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Beat eggs, milk and spices in a bowl, whisk to mix together.
2. In a skillet, heat butter over medium heat and saute peppers till it is slightly soft. Mix in the tomatoes and fry for another minute. Remove from heat and add in egg mixture, bread and sprinkle top with cheese.
3. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes until set and serve warm.
Ready for the oven!
Tomatoes and peppers from our garden
August 20, 2010
Ingredients: (serves 4)
4 thin slices of sirloin tip
2 slices of tilapa (optional)
2 chicken breasts or thighs meat (bone remove)
6 ripe tomatoes, skin removed and chopped finely
1 small semi-ripe mango, skin removed and chopped finely
2 ripe avocados, seeds removed and mashed
1 package guacamole mix
Juice of 4 limes or lemons
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 onion, chopped finely
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. Teriyaki sauce
2 Tbsps. beef marinade (of your choice)
salt and pepper to taste
some sugar to taste
1 package flour tortilla
lettuce, washed and drained
sour cream (optional)
1. Season beef with your favorite marinade and some garlic. Rub fish with salt and pepper, then season with fish sauce and a teaspoon of lemon/lime juice. Lastly season chicken slices with Teriyaki sauce and a teaspoon of sugar.
2. Grill or brown meat till cooked. Sliced meat in thin strips and keep warm.
3. Put avocados in a bowl and mashed with a fork, add in 2 tablespoon of lemon/lime juice followed by the guacamole mix. Stir to mix and season to taste. Keep refrigerated.
4. In a bowl, add onions, chopped tomatoes, mangoes, cilantro, rest of the garlic and lemon/lime juice. Mix well and season to taste with some sugar, salt or pepper.