May 2, 2010

Fried Collard Greens with Smoked Apple Bacon

I was at Trader Joe this weekend and they were serving this delicious uncured apple bacon to shoppers. I took a bite and it was really good! It has a nice apple flavor and I like it as it is not as salty. What a perfect coincidence, as I went in to get some bacon for tonight's dinner. This would be wonderful with collard greens that I got from the farmers market. Beside collard greens, it is great with dinosaur kale (lacinato). Yummy!
Ingredients:
2 bunches collard greens, cut in bite sized
1 red onion, sliced thinly
4 ozs bacon, sliced thinly
half cup dry white wine
3 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Method:
1. In a large frying pan, heat oil and add in bacon to brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and fry until the onions is beginning to soften and absorbed most of the bacon oil.
2. Add in the wine and simmer for about 3-4 minutes to reduce the liquid. Add in greens and seasonings. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 15-20 minutes until greens are tender. Serve hot with rice.
Printable Recipe

1 comment:

Terriea Kwong said...

Hummmmm, I can smell this dish.