December 13, 2014
Chocolate Mint Cookies
Ingredients; (adapted from aspicyperspective.com)
2 sticks of butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar (for less sweet)
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour (and some extra for dusting)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup Andes Creme de Menthe chips
1/2 tsp. mint extract
a few drops of green food coloring
1. Cream butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add beaten eggs and vanilla, combine to mix.
2. In a bowl, sift 2 cups of flour, baking powder, salt together. Gently add to the egg mixture and beat to combined.
3. Divide mixture into thirds, keeping 1.3 in the mixing bowl. In this, add mint extract, and green food coloring and extra flour to mix into a smooth dough. Form the dough into a flat rectangle and wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.
4. Place the rest of the 2/3 dough into the bowl, add cocoa powder and mint chips. Mix well to combine and wrap dough with plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. On a floured piece of wax paper, roll the chocolate dough into a flat rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick. Do the same with the green dough and place over the chocolate dough. Press gently to stick both pieces together. Roll into a log and press down on the end to seal, pinching any cracks together. Wrap the log in wax paper and refrigerate for another 30-45 minutes before baking.
6. 5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
7. Line baking tray with parchment paper. Unwrap dough and slice into 1/3-1/4 inch pieces. Place pieces 2 inch apart on baking trays and bake for 10-15 minutes. Cool on trays after removing from oven, before transferring to cooling trays.