I love to make this dish when mangoes are in season. Enjoy!3-4 slices of Snapper or Salmon
1 can black bean, washed and drained
½ cup finely chopped red pepper (optional)
A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
Juice of 2 lemons
2 teaspoons oil
2 tsp. sugar
2 russet potatoes (peeled, coarsely grated with hand grater)
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. flour
salt and pepper
Oil for frying
1. Combine potatoes and salt and let stand for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Press firmly on solids to remove as much liquid as possible. Discard any accumulated liquid. Transfer potato mixture to large bowl. Mix in egg, flour and pepper.
2. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 250°F. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop 2 tablespoonfuls of potato mixture into hot, flattening slightly into 3 inch diameter cakes. Cook until crisp and golden, about 5-8 minutes on each side. Transfer and drain on paper towel and keep warm in oven Note: Can be prepared a day ahead and reheat.
3. Mix all the above ingredients for the salsa and season to taste. Put in fridge for later use.
4. Season fish with salt and pepper. Heat oil in pan and fry fish until cooked on both sides.
5. Serve warm with potato cakes and salsa on top.