Ingredients: (4 servings)
2 Cornish Game hens, cut into halves
2 large orange
¾ cup Port
4 Tbsps. red currant jelly
3 tsp. Dijon mustard
3 tsp. red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1 baking tray
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Slice enough peel from one orange with a vegetable peeler. Slice the other orange into half and slice into thin slices. Squeeze juice from remaining oranges to measure ½ cup, set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, combine Port, jelly and orange juice and peel. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until jelly melts. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in mustard and vinegar. Set aside to cool.
3. Wash and pat hen dry and insert slices of orange under the skin of each halves of hen. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Arrange on baking tray and roast for about 15-20 minutes.
4. Brush the hen pieces with half of the sauce and continue to roast until the hen are cooked through and the skin is golden brown for another 20-30 minutes Note: Juice should run clear when pierced with a small knife and/or test with a cooking thermometer)
5. Remove and cover to keep warm. When cool enough to handle, cut into quarters and transfer pieces to individual warmed plates. Scrape drippings from pan and add into remaining sauce. Gently reheat sauce and spoon over hen pieces. Serve with fresh orange slices and other complimentary side dishes for the occasion.