1½ lbs apples, peeled and cored
¾ cups sugar
juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
1¼ cups self-rising flour (or plain flour with 1 tsp. baking powder)
4 oz. melted butter
pinch of salt
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp. ground ginger
9" springform cake pan
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1 springform baking pan
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush baking pan with melted butter and line the base with paper.
2. Slice the apples thinly and add to a bowl, pour lemon juice and ginger on top. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a bowl, beat egg, sugar until it is thick and creamy. In another bowl, mix flour and salt together.
3. Add in half the flour into the egg mixture and fold in gently with a metal spoon. Drizzled in the melted butter from the side and fold into with the flour mixture. Add in the rest of the flour to mix, then add in the apples and fold gently to mix. Use a spatula to level the top surface and sprinkle nutmeg on top. (This works well if you have a nutmeg grater)
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake in center of oven for about 45-50 minutes until skewer comes out clean. Remove and let it cool down for about 10 minutes and then invert on to a wire rack. Turn the cake onto a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar if you desired.