June 27, 2010

Fresh Ginger and Lemongrass Ale

Whenever I feel like having a soft drink, I think of gingerale. I love the fizziness and the taste of ginger, but I didn't like the sugar content. I stumbled upon this recipe from CNN's Food Central from Jean-Georges Vongerichten. I've adjusted the sugar and left out the chilli. This will be great for the summer and the upcoming July 4th weekend BBQ!
Ingredients:
1 lb fresh ginger, cut into thin strips
3 stalks lemongrass, removed outer leaves and cut into half
1-2 cups sugar, per taste
1 quart water
soda water
ice cubes
Method:
1. Add ginger to a food processor and puree to smaller pieces. Remove and add to the puree in a heavy saucepan with sugar and water. Bring to fast boil over high heat, then lower heat to simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Remove, strain and chill for many hours in the refrigerator.
To serve: Place about 1/4 cup of the syrup in a glass full of ice. Fill with soda water; taste and add more syrup if you like. Garnish with a lime wedge, then serve.
Prntable Recipe

1 comment:

Deb in Hawaii said...

This is a great recipe--I made it a few weeks ago (with the chiles) and loved it. ;-)