November 6, 2009

Prawns in Fragrant Spicy Sauce/Udang Wangi Berempah

Years ago, I've submitted this recipe to a nursery in exchange for some kaffir lime leaves. Since then whenever they have surplus leaves, they would send me some in the mail. Now I have a bush of my own and it has given me a few fruits and plenty of leaves. I love the citrus lemon-lime smell in this dish. Masak Udang Wangi Berempah literally means "fragrant spicy prawns" in Malay.
Ingredients:
1½ lbs. prawns
1 large onion, chopped
8-10 dried chilies, pre-soaked, seed removed
4-6 pcs. kaffir lime leaves
2-3 pcs turmeric root or 1 tsp turmeric powder
3 buah keras, or 2 tablsp. chopped cashew nuts
1 inch ginger
4 pips garlic
3 stalks lemon grass, cut in chunks
¼ cup oil
1 cup coconut milk
2 tsp. sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
salt and pepper to taste
Method:
1. Blend or pound the spice ingredients until fine.
2. Slit the prawns on top, remove the black vein and leave shells intact. Wash well to remove any slim and season with a dash of salt. Set aside.
3. Heat oil and fry the spice past until fragrant over medium low heat until mixture is fragrant and moisture has evaporated, and there is a thin layer of red film of oil on top of mixture. This will take abit longer if your paste is processed through a blender.
4. Add half of the coconut milk and mix in with the chilli paste. Turn heat up to high and add in the prawns to cook. Add the rest of the milk and sugar, then the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt.
5. Remove from heat and garnish with chopped fresh young kaffir leaves on top. Serve with rice.
Printable Recipe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melinda!
This is joe from Kwan's barbeque. I really like your blog and I think I will make this recipie this weekend. Where do I shop for kaffir leaves and buah keras?

~joe